Frequently Asked Questions

How do I cancel my AEA Membership?

You must submit in writing a letter of cancellation on or before September 15th of the school year.

How do I change the beneficiary on my retirement account?

Complete a Form 100-C, Change of Beneficiary Form issued by the Retirement Systems of Alabama. You may download a form from the Retirement Systems of Alabama website at www.rsa.state.al.us

I am completing a higher degree program online, will I be paid for it upon completion?

To be paid for your highest degree, it must have been earned at a regionally accredited institution that is recognized the Alabama State Department of Education. Those regionally accredited agencies are: Middle State Association of Colleges and Schools (MSACS), New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCACS), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and Western Association of Colleges and Schools (WACS).

My teaching certificate will expire this year, what's the renewal process?

Our office is notified each year by the Alabama State Department of Education Division of Teacher Education and Certification of all expiring certificates in our school system. Our office will forward an application for completion of online renewal to all applicable applicants.

When are salary step raises given?

Salary step raises are given in accordance to the adopted Board Salary Schedule. Step increases are based on years of public school experience and highest degree earned and on file with our office.

When does advanced degree pay begin?

An employee shall be paid for an advance degree in the pay period that begins after the advanced degree is recognized by the State Department of Education provided that, if an employee has completed service under contract for the scholastic year, the advanced degree pay shall begin with the first pay period for service under contract in the subsequent scholastic year.

When is the deadline for submitting payroll changes?

All payroll changes must be submitted in writing on or before the 15th of the month. All requests after the 15th will be honored the following month.